The Living Reviews Project
MPDL Symposium, München 27th April 2006
Heinz Nixdorf Center for Information Management
in the Max Planck Society
A micro-publisher ...
- Living Reviews in Relativity - MPI for Gravitational Physics, Potsdam;
- Living Reviews in Solar Physics - MPI for Solar System Research, Katlenburg-Lindau;
- Living Reviews in European Governance - CONNEX and NEWGOV, Vienna;
- Living Reviews in Landscape Research - Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research,
- some more in various stages of preparation.
... and Software Shop
- ePubTk: the ePublishing Toolkit
- the Living Reviews publishing platform
- Conference Software with the MPI for Human Cognition and Brain Sciences, Leipzig
- Hermes in cooperation with the MoWGLI project
Where do we come from?
- 1997 - 2002: startup to publish an online journal
- 2002 - 2004: reorientation to handle more journals
- 2005: consolidation of hosting environment
- 2006: reaching out into the community
Where are we going?
Berlin 4 Open Access - satellite workshop:
- OA publishing as library responsibility
- interoperability of publishing components
- follow up at ELPUB 2006
For more information on publishing by libraries - in particular more on
"archive-based publishing and overlay journals"- see
To follow up on the workshop at Berlin 4 a wiki was started to collect ideas on
interoperability of epublishing software components.
Information about the publishing workshop at ELPUB 2006 is available here.
Our Business Model ...
- ... is the web 2.0 one:
- Do cool stuff, get bought by Google.
- Or: Serve the community, find organisations willing to pay.
So we'll be happy to become part of the bigger picture.