The Living Reviews Project
sInfo steering committee meeting, Garching 30th June 2006
Heinz Nixdorf Center for Information Management
in the Max Planck Society
A micro-publisher ...
- Living Reviews in Relativity - MPI for Gravitational Physics, Potsdam;
- Living Reviews in Solar Physics - MPI for Solar System Research, Katlenburg-Lindau;
- Living Reviews in European Governance - CONNEX and NEWGOV, Vienna;
- Living Reviews in Landscape Research - Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research,
- some more in various stages of preparation.
... and Software Shop
- ePubTk: the ePublishing Toolkit
- the Living Reviews publishing platform
- Conference Software with the MPI for Human Cognition and Brain Sciences, Leipzig
- Hermes in cooperation with the MoWGLI project
- Provide central publishing platform and publishing tools
- Max Planck Institutes can get editorial support
- external organisations set up their own journal backoffice
- visible committment of MPS to golden road of Open Access
- two (plus x) highly valued scientific recources published by MPI
- transfer of achievements in greater academic community
- recognition in ePublishing community
Where are we going?
- further extension of journal family
... steady but healty
- OA publishing as library responsibility
- interoperability of publishing components
- (c.f. Berlin 4 satellite workshop, ELPUB 2006)
For more information on publishing by libraries - in particular more on
"archive-based publishing and overlay journals"- see
To follow up on the workshop at Berlin 4 a wiki was started to collect ideas on
interoperability of epublishing software components.
Information about the publishing workshop at ELPUB 2006 is available here.
Who are we?
LivRev core team
- Frank Schulz (AEI), managing editor 
- Vera Osswald (AEI), editorial assistance, database management 
- Robert Forkel, programmer/technical lead 
- Dr. Andre Wobst, programmer 
- Christina Weyher, project management 
editorial offices outside the MPS: Vienna, Müncheberg
co-developers for hermes and conference tools
the community: editorial boards, authors, referees, readers
Our Business Model ...
... is pretty simple:
- Serve the community, find organisations willing to pay.
... worked pretty well so far.